Description:Â BP said it was suspending dividend payments for much of this year and created a $20 billion fund to pay injured parties. Alan Murray and Joe White discuss. Also, Steven Gillon, a presidential historian discusses Barack Obama’s leadership style in the context of other presidents who have faced serious crises.
Source:Â Marketwatch.com â€“ video report
Questions for discussion:Â
- How much will this â€œdealâ€ hurt BP financially?
- What is the significance of a dividend suspension?
- What is your view of corporate and government responsibility in this matter?
- Do you believe that President Obama has handled BP correctly?
- From a risk management point of view, are there any longer term ramifications for the industry now that this ecological disaster has occurred?
- How might you expect oil companies and governments behave in the future?